Note : I’m not a doctor or a nutritionist; just sharing my personal experience with trying a water fast for the first time
What exactly is a water fast ? A true water fast maintains a zero caloric intake. This means water only, nothing added to it. Its believed that any food allowed into the bodily system prevents the complete resting state desired during a fast, compromising the level of cleansing and detox attained.
Why am I doing a water fast? Simple. For my health. I want my vital organs – my kidneys, liver, pancreas, skin, brain, stomach, intestines (colon), and every other organ in my body – to be detoxified; truly cleansed and eliminated from toxins. I want my body to function at its best so that I can be the healthiest that I can be.
What my water fast will look like and why (based on my research) :
- Water 60-75 oz : There are so many arguments about what water is best for us to consume, so I’m rotating between alkaline water, distilled water, and purified water. Distilled water is said to have many of its impurities removed, making it the “best” water to drink. Alkaline water has a high PH level which reduces acid in the body. And purified water is well, its in the name. 😏
- Coconut Water 35-50 oz: The electrolytes contained in coconut water are excellent for keeping the body hydrated. The body will use the glucose and potassium from coconut water as fuel to keep electricity running thru and avoid atrophy.
- Herbal Tea : I drink a few cups of hot tea daily. I don’t add sweeteners, so this counts as zero calorie intake.I may have technically “cheated” this morning because I had my usual ginger root tea. Honestly, I’m not going to say its a cheat because ginger is so good for the body anyway.
- ChlorOxygen 18-36 drops: This is the chlorophyll concentrate that I’m obsessed with at the moment! Chlorophyll is great because it increases oxygenation in the body by supporting red blood cell production and provides you with iron, copper, magnesium and sodium – which gives you energy and prevents altitude sickness.
- Essential Oils : I won’t add oils to my water everyday, but I’m including them because they can aid in the detoxification of organs because of their antioxidant, anti fungal, antiseptic, and anti-inflammatory properties. Now, I don’t want to be a bore, but I’ve broken down what all that means below. Mainly, because I was a little unclear about it all until I started researching myself.
- An antioxidant is a molecule that inhibits the oxidation of other molecules. Oxidation is a chemical reaction that can produce free radicals, leading to chain reactions that may damage cells. Antioxidants such as thiols or ascorbic acid (vitamin C) terminate these chain reactions.
- Antifungals We all have a certain amount of fungus and yeast(candida) in our bodies that cause no serious issues. They are typically kept in check by our body’s bacteria; however problems may arise if certain conditions are present such as a weakened immunity system.
- Antiseptics are antimicrobial substances that are applied to living tissue/skin to reduce the possibility of infection, sepsis, or putrefaction.
- An anti-inflammatory reduces inflammation of the organs, tissues, etc.
Today, I drank a cup of chloroxygen infused water before getting out of bed, two cups of ginger root tea on the way to work, 2 cups of the infused water once I got to work, and have been working on 1 liter of coconut water and 1.5 liters of infused water the rest of the day. Its 7pm now and I have a cup of coconut water and a half of the 1.5 liter of infused water left to finish. How do I feel right now? Energy-wise, I feel good. I worked out, keeping in mind to not overextend myself. And I haven’t had any real hunger pains – well, one is kicking in right now, but that just shows you how mental it all is because I hadn’t really felt a hunger pain until I started typing those words, lol. I’m hungry in a sense of being used to eating, not because I really want to eat anything. So day 1 hasn’t been that bad. I probably have a good bit of fuel stored in me from yesterday’s meals, so we’ll see how tomorrow goes. I plan on getting in bed super early tonight too; aiming for 8+ hours of sleep! I’m also going to try really hard to write about this entire process and some of it will make it to the blog!! xoxo 😊😀😁